Friday, February 25, 2011

Come take a Hike...up Cowles Mt.

"Hey, you wanna hike Cowles Mt. this weekend?", "Heck NO! I ain't climbing no mountain. That's for those crazy folks!" That is usually the response I get from people when I ask the to join me on Cowles Mt. "What is Cowles Mt. and why should I climb it?" is another question I get from folks who never tried it. Well... Cowles Mt. is a Mountain in San Diego, located on the corner of Golfcrest Drive and Navajo Road, within Mission Mission Trails Park. It is 1.5 miles up and 1.5 miles down (giving you a roundtrip journey of 3 miles). Why do we do it? We do it for the challenge, for fitness, to clear our minds, to inspire us to achieve goals, for dares, to impress girls or guys, for fun...the list of reasons go on and on.
Many groups, clubs, teams, individuals, etc... make the trek every day (some twice in one day!) and continue to do it for their individual reasons. My group, Sirius Fitness Run and Fit Club make it a habit to hike at least once a week. I personally am doing it to prepare for a Half Marathon which requires me to run much of those grueling 13.1 miles uphill! I encourage individuals to do it for their overall health. That is my driving force! When commenting on their journey up and down Cowles Mt. some members used descriptions such as... hard, fun, inspiring, invigorating, challenging, refreshing, great and some I can't mention...LOL! Yolanda K. said, "Wow! my calves hurt for almost a week after the first workout.. whoa!!" We get a GOOD WORKOUT too!

My challenge to you is to come and challenge YOURSELF and reach that peak, climb that mountain, conquer that hill and keep your eye on the prize. The prize is Health, Wellness and an Optimum Life! We take on Cowles every Saturday Morning at 7am. For more information go to www.meetup.com/siriusfitness (join our FREE Fit club) or email me at siriusfitness@gmail.com. PEACE and HEALTH!

Nasara Gargonnu

(Reprinted from Voice and Viewpoint Feb. issue)

No comments: